Sunday 20 July 2008

Dynamic narrative in Far Cry 2

I want to point you in the direction of a brilliant article on dynamic narrative in Far Cry 2 (Redefining Game Narrative: Ubisoft's Patrick Redding On Far Cry 2) recently posted on Gamasutra that you should read if you are at all interested in this field. While Far Cry 2 may not interest you, Patrick Redding says he's trying to sneak sophisticated narrative techniques in through the FPS back door, and he suggests a complete separation of the roles of writer and narrative designer, which I hadn't thought of, but seems to make sense in the context of big budget commercial games.

What makes this story so interesting is the comments section, which seems to have brought out commentors on the state of the art in dynamic narrative including Lee Sheldon, author of Character Development and Storytelling in Games, which I hadn't heard of, but I suspect I'll be purchasing soon.

No comments: