Saturday 8 November 2008

Laptop gaming

I've cracked and bought Left4Dead, earlier than I had planned, just to get access to the demo. As a laptop gamer, I thought I'd share a screen shot from the opening of the game with you (Click to enlarge).I'm downloading new drivers at the moment, but I'm not holding out much hope of resolving these graphic glitches.

In unrelated news, a regular reader of this blog, VRBones, was fortunate enough to be part of an interesting dialog with Clint Hocking, Creative Director at Ubisoft Montreal, about the ethics of Far Cry 2. It's thought provoking reading.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the same problem in my laptop and drivers never corrected it. It ended up being a case of my video card dying slowly. I ended up getting a big cooling fan which helped a bit at first but the glitches would slowly creep in until the game was unplayable and I shutdown until the thing cooled off.

Brog said...

I used to get this in lots of games on my desktop. Like wes, I think it was video card cancer. Taking the side of the case off helped with cooling and made things better for a while.

Andrew Doull said...

Thanks for the advice. I've already had the GPU replaced once in this laptop due to overheating problems and believe this is due to the build problems found in this particular machine's Nvidia chipset. I've just gone back and tested a number of other games (e.g. Half Life 2) which were running fine, and they now show the same glitches.

Andrew Doull said...

Replacing the GPU fixed the problem...

Unknown said...

Good to hear. When I eventually retired my aforementioned laptop, I opened it up to confirm my suspicions about the GPU overheating, and it seemed that shoddy manufacturing had managed to give the heatsink a little bit of wiggle room, which i think ultimately led to its demise.